Sunday, June 11, 2006

Spotlight: Juggling Trick Database

http://www.juggl.org

Juggl seems to be the best kept secret in the online juggling community. It's a user-driven online database for juggling tricks created by Richard James. This website could do for trick tutorials what Bogleg has done for unofficial records, or what JuggleThis has done for video hosting, and yet no one is using it. Why not? I haven't got a clue, because this website is top-notch. Let me give you a rundown of the features:

  • The trick database is like an organized wiki. Any user can add or edit tricks, but each trick page is kept organized and consistent with the rest.
  • Videos. Any user can upload a video of the trick and it will be converted to an embedded Flash video right on the trick page. The user can also upload a JML file, so a siteswap simulation of the trick can be viewed on the page as well.
  • Did I mention it's virtually a wiki? A lot of tutorials sites are out there, but I can't think of a single one that is popular. That's because they aren't updated very often. When was the last time you checked out TWJC or the Wildcat tutorials and saw a new trick? Unlike these other tutorial sites (which are great sites by the way, just not new) Juggl gives the responsibility of updates to many (the users) instead of just one (the owner).
  • Reasonable moderation. Any addition or edit you make must be approved by a moderator, but this ensures quality and keeps out vandalism.
  • Excellent code. Actually, I have no idea if it's good code, but it works well. I've never had any problems interacting with the site.
  • Blogging. I know, blogging so hot right now. Once you register, you automatically have your own blog. In it you can keep a personal log of your juggling progress, or whatever it is you want to write about...
The website is still under construction, however the blog and trick databases are both online and work like a charm. I'm definitely not a Juggl.org shill, I just think that this site is great and I would love to see it flourish. I ask that you at least check out the site - sign up and look around. I would then ask that you add or edit at least one trick (or maybe add a video of yourself doing an existing trick). I myself have contributed to the headbounce and 4 ball mills mess pages, but I'm sure you can make them better.

1 Comments:

Blogger Quinn Spicker said...

How come I never knew about this? This site is amazing!

3:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Top