Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Miracle cure

Hey guys and girls. If you're like me -- almost 20, dedicated juggler, forum reader, semi-attractive -- then you hear this phrase a lot when visiting rec.jug and juggling talk: "How do I improve my (insert trick here) without just practicing it a lot?". Usually it's asked by a younger juggler with poor grammar, but I think it's a question we've all asked at one point to ourselves or better jugglers. People always look for a miracle fix when it comes to skills you can learn. If I could eat a pill that would make me instantly learn how to do a handstand, of course I would do it. The problem is, that pill doesn't exist and never will. Practice harder and practice better are two things people don't want to hear but know they must do. I have, although, found a way to start practices off on the right foot. Warming up is very crucial to many jugglers, because nobody can just pick up props and expect to do their hardest tricks absolutely cold. If you want a miracle cure for getting better at your tricks, I suggest warming up. I've made a list of exercises that follow the Russian style of warming up. These drills are designed to make your throws higher (think Kristian Wanvik) but it doesn't need to happen, they just warm you up for practice. Pick and choose which ones you want to do, but I recommend doing the whole thing.

Beginning: These drills warm up your wrists, fingers, arms and shoulders.
1) Pick up ONE ball and hold it in the clawed position (palm face down, holding with your fingers). Drop it and quickly re-catch it. Do this as quickly as you can for 20 times in each hand two times (20 in right, 20 in left, 20 in right, 20 in left).
2) Place ONE ball on the back of your hand facing down. Let it roll off the front of your fingers and catch it quickly. Do this 15 times in each hand two times.
3) Take ONE ball and pass it back and forth in front of your body 20 times. Make the throws low and fast as you can. After the 20th throw, circle your body in one direction, then after 20 throws of that, circle the other way. You should feel the burn in your shoulders and upper arms a little bit.
4) Take TWO balls and do the same drill as one, but with two balls at the same time, one in each hand. Alternate which one drops and catches and of course, do it quickly.
5) Take TWO balls and shuffle them in front of you 20 times in one direction. A shuffle is when you make them switch hands quickly, just so we're clear. Then reverse directions for 20 throws. Then do them in "rows" for 20 throws.

Middle: These drills prepare you to throw props and they can be done with balls, clubs or rings.
1) Take ONE prop and throw it in front of you at a 5 height. If it's a club, it should only spin once. Throw it back and forth 15-20 times. Then increase the height to a 7, or two spins on a club. Do that 15-20 times. Then increase it once more to as high as you can throw, or three spins. Guess how many times you do that? Keep in mind that during this exercise, your arms should not be moving all over the place to catch your throws. We're going for accuracy here. If you can't throw high and accurate, then just work on the level below it.
2) Take THREE (yay!) props and throw them in a cascade at a five height. Nice lofty throws, clubs only flip once. Make sure you don't move around too much. Yet again, increase height after 15-20 throws. Do it again after 15-20 more throws.
3) Take THREE props and do constant flashes or three ups. First do them at five height, or one flip of the club. If you haven't figured out how to finish this drill by now, I'm not going to tell you.

End: Streaching. I feel this is VERY important and if I can't do the Russian warm up, I always at least streach out first.
1) Find a wall. If you're in a raquetball court, this should be easy. Give the wall a hug, then rotate your body away from the wall to the right while keeping your arm pressed against it. Don't overdo it, but hold it for ten counts. Do the same for your left arm.
2) Put your arm up like you're going to ask a question, then drop your hand down behind your head. Grab your elbow with your other hand and pull. Hold for ten counts and do the other arm.
3) Try to put your right arm's elbow pit on your left shoulder. Grab your right arm with your left arm and pull toward your body, hold for ten counts. Do it for the left too.
4) Swing your arms in circles a few times, loosen things up and get blood flowing. Do big circles and small circles. Don't go too fast.

Yup, that's about it. I've been doing Russian warm ups for about four months now and when I started doing them, I IMMEDIATELY saw an improvement in my five ball cascade. I'm also sure doing this has helped my five clubs, six balls and seven balls. It also makes me loose and warm enough to try the hard tricks right at the beginning of practice when I'm the freshest. I hope this helps anyone who reads it as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Top